Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The emotions of it

So am I starting to freak out a little?

Maybe.

Running two marathons in two days in two different cities 678 miles apart seemed like a good idea.

In December.

But now it is April. I am 10 days away from the Country Music Marathon in Nashville. That run doesn't scare me. It's a course I have never seen so it will be a new experience. My legs will be fresh. I will be in good spirits. I should be well rested. If I behave myself and do what I know I should do, I will be running with people from KC that will keep me from running out too fast, preserving my legs for Sunday. I have a nutrition plan in place. Really, I don't see many problems with the Nashville.

Then, after that race, I have to rush to the airport. Rush to get find the appropriate food to fuel me for Sunday. I may not have time to shower - which may be frowned upon by surrounding passengers. I have a layover in Dallas where I will rush to find another appropriate meal to continue refueling. I will also have to re-hydrate along the way, being careful not to over-hydrate because I will be on a plane. I get into OKC around 9:00 and should be in bed no later than 10.

Sunday morning will be the real test. I have to start out slow and NOT worry about my pace. Those first few miles I just have to keep my feet moving forward. I have to remember to walk a minute at every water stop. I have to continue to fuel properly. But I can't slow down too much. There is a "loose" 6-hour time limit. If it takes me longer, no sweat. The marathon won't shut down until the last man finishes. But I don't want to be out there longer than 6-hours. No way!

I have to stay focused and control those factors I can. Rest. Hydration. Nutrition. Pace.

But there are going to be so many other factors in play. Temperature. Wind. Sun. Emotion.

Can I stay focused. Can I stay out of the "bite me" zone?

That's going to be up to the volunteers in OKC. They have been great in the past. I am sure they will be that way again.

Nervous. Excited. Anxious.

Aren't emotions great!

2 Comments:

Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I think you might be crazy!

But I am sure everything will go smooth as butter. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? ;-)

Good luck! It's all so impressive IMHO!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

I'm really excited for you on this front, Kevin. You'll be fine. Just relax as much as you can post-CMM.

Looking forward to hearing how it all goes over in the end!

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home