Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Isn't it ironic

So we had our monthly TNT meeting at a local hostpital. There was another meeting going on in the room across the hall, also starting at 6. While putting up the Team in Training signs, the organizers of the other meeting commented that if they saw anyone looking lost, they would send them our way.

Naturally, we wondered how those nice ladies would be able to tell the TNT members from those going to attend their meeting.

And then we saw the purpose of their meeting.

Surgical Weight Loss.

Ironic. Just a bit?

Understand, I am one of several TNT runners that could afford to lose a couple dozen pounds. I said that when I first started running marathons. I said that when I trained for ironman. I am saying that now. Koach Karl is still hoping one day I find my "potential"

And I do know what it takes to lose weight. My problem is and always has been I like tasty food and Dr Pepper and the occasional beer. That being said, I have dropped 8 pounds since giving up (most) fried food and (most) soda over the past 3 weeks. I have also increased my physical output. I have even had my second tossed salad w/ cajun chicken breast in as many.

It's amazing how easy weight loss can be.

Losing weight is a simple equation.

Calories burnt > Calories ingested

It does take dicipline and the willingness to make changes for more than a month here and there.

Surgery shouldn't factor into the equation.

But evidently, this is the only solution for some people. I think its great that these people are taking what, for them, could be the first step to a healthier life.

What I don't understand is why that first step has to be having someone drop them off at the door instead of parking their car and walking the extra 50 yards across the lot to the meeting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Kilgore said...

Ok..I am glad I as not the only one that noticed that on the way in

7:05 PM  
Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Oh the irony!

I think one problem is that people who are obese enough to qualify for the surgery often are embarassed to exercise. I have a couple of friends who are by no means large enough to qualify for such surgery, but who have told me that was an issue for them.

Well, maybe someone walking into that meeting glanced over at your meeting and reconsidered :-)

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home