Thursday, March 08, 2007

4: Major League

note: This was supposed to be the second of my 6 favorite baseball movies, but after serious consideration, I decided although The Naked Gun has more than 20 minutes of "baseball" time, it really can't be considered a "baseball movie", Major League thus gets bumped up to the number 4 slot.

At one time, Major League was my favorite baseball movie. But I think this is a movie you can watch too many times. Most comedies are like that.

And I think I saw this movie too many times growing up.

Still, it has some of the greatest one-liners of all time. We know them. We love them. We laugh when we hear them. We still quote them.

"How's your wife and my kids"
"You put snot on the ball?"
Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls."
"You may run like Mays but you hit like shit."
"Too high. It's too high."
and on and on and on.

Honestly though, what makes this movie is Harry Doyle, played by major league announcer and comedian Bob Uecker. The man was great. I still laugh at many of his on-field descriptions. He is as funny in person as he is on the big screen.

And even though I may have seen this movie too many times, I still find myself stopping on it as I flip through the channels.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I too have seen this movie so many times that it is borderline ridiculous. Ah, but it still makes me laugh!

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home