Sunday, February 25, 2007

I'm glad I passed on that 5th beer

That is what I was thinking about 14 miles into my 16 mile run Saturday morning. I cut myself off at 4 during happy hour Friday night (beer water beer water beer beer water water water). We were haveing a blast and they were planning the rest of the night as I left at 8:00. I am sort of happy I had to run Saturday morning because I can only imagine what would have gone down had I stayed out.

Really, the run went well considering the cold rain left conditions less than desirable and, after a 2-mile warm-up, I ran miles 3 - 8 with Doug at a sub-10 minute mile clip and the next three I was still around a 10 min/mile pace.

But those last 3. They weren't fun at all. I stood around at the last waterstop too long and the muscles started to tighten up. It was more mental fatigue than physical. I finished those last three at an 11 min/mile pace and, while bored, I wasn't hurting all that much.

Several good things came from the run on Saturday. First, I did not hurt at all on Saturday. No ankle pain. No knee pain. Second, my calves didn't cramp. This is the first time since forever that the calves made 16 miles cramp free. Finally, I had some great splits in the run. I am sure if Doug hadn't bailed at the 8 mile point, those splits would have continued, but that's how it goes.

Today, in preparation for the back-to-back marathons, I jumped on the treadmill (yes, I said treadmill, but more because I didn't feel like dealing with the wind and I wasn't running that far) for a quick 45 minute run at a 10:30 pace. I covered 4.3 miles. I wanted to get in 6, but lets be honest. There was no way I was going to spend an hour on a treadmill.

And while at the gym, I ran into Josh. We got Chipotle after the workout.

I probably should have put in that last 1.7 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home