Monday, May 01, 2006

OKC Marathon Recap

It was a perfect morning. Not a lot of wind and temperatures in the 50s. The sky was clear and it was going to get warm - incentive to finish really fast.

The marathon start sent chills up my spine - just like last year. There is something about standing amongst some 10,000+ other runners for 168 seconds in dead silence. All you could hear were birds chirping and a helecopter overhead. The national anthem following just topped off the moment.

The we were off. There are 3 different races; the marathon, the 1/2 marathon and the 5K. Being in the middle of all those runners streaming past the Oklahoma Memorial was quite a rush. Of the runners, about 2000 were there for the marathon.

I was running the first portion of the run with Gina, who was dead-set on breaking 5 hours. My goal was to be at a 5 hour pace at mile 20. Both of us have a habit of starting out too fast. Of course, we were guilty of this yet again. Fortunately, we both made efforts to hold each other back and it worked, more or less.

Just past the state capitol building, I encoutered another reminder about the reason for this run. A girl in her mid 20s ran past me. On her back was a picture of a woman and a teenage girl. Written "In memory of mom. I love you". Emotional moment.

The next few miles took us through some older neighoborhoods and past a fully stocked bar in front of one house. Gina wouldn't let me stop.

About 6 miles in, we approached the first relay exchange point. My opinions on relay runners will come later this week. So check back.

At mile 8, Gina and I are both in a zone. Kicking it at about a 10:30 mile pace. And then Gina tells me she has to go to the bathroom. I politely point to a tree lined creekbed and tell her I will wait for her. She decided to wait for the port-a-potty at the next waterstop. Her and several other runners.

So here was my delima. Keep going or wait on her. I chose to wait. And stopped my watch. I mean, it wasn't me going to the bathroom I shouldn't be punished for waiting on my friend. Should I? So about 4 minutes later, we are on our way again.

We get cross the 1/2 marathon at 2:25 (or 2:21 by my watch - that's a PR for the 1/2 marathon - a good thing)

Then, less than 1/4 mile later, we are running up and overpass, and the calf twitched. Damnit!?! My stupid calves. So much for pace. They didn't actually cramp, but it might as well have. It was only a matter of time.

I sent Gina on, stretched and continued. But I lost my energy and emotionally, I was done. The next 4 - 5 miles, around the lake, I ran mad. slower. But mad.

You see, my calves are unpredictable and drive me crazy - kind of like a couple of girls I used to date. When they are on, I can look good, really good. But on their off-day, they just drag me down with them. And yesterday was clearly an off-day.

But I kept going, and had good stretches and ok stretches. I mixed a couple short walks amongst the running, primarily up hills because that is what triggers the cramping. But mostly it is an easy jog, 11 - 12 minute mile pace.

The 5 hour pace group passes me, at about mile 19, and like rubbing salt in the wound, the balloon identifying the group hits me in the head as they pass me. But I wasn't worried. I had a 4 minute grace period thanks to the pit stop. I cross the 20 mile mark shortly later. And I was still under a 5 hour marathon pace. So all was good.

After that, I started having fun again. I was in coast mode, no longer caring about my time. And I started interacting again with spectators and volunteers. I almost feel bad for one volunteer, but it wasn't my fault she had no humor.

Our conversation at about mile 25:

her: turn right

me: left

her: no, right.

me: but you're pointing left

her: no, your right, my left

me: so I turn left then

her: no, yes, I mean just go that way (pointing).

me: how about I just go straight?

her: whatever

The people around me were cracking up. I was back.

The last mile was fun,

BUT, and this is my only complaint about the marathon other than the relay concept, the finish line is maddening. I saw it from about 1/3 of a mile away.

And it was the longest 1/3 of a mile ever.

You hear the excitement, you see where you want to be, but it is so far away. It probably took me 4 minutes from the time I saw the finish line to actually crossing it. You just can't cover that ground fast enough.

I finished in 5:27:08 chip time, 6 seconds slower than my pace for the same run last year. I did have that 4 minute delay AND I put it into coast after the 20 mile mark. So I was pleased with my result - especially with the calf issue.

Not bad for a training run.

And I even came up with my new favorite running quote. Look for it in San Diego.

Pictures later!

4 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

oh, bummer about the calf, but nicely done, coasting it in for a strong finish!

san diego will ROCK! can't wait!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....uh no....you do not get 4 minutes of credit time for waiting....

8:45 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Don't worry, Gina, no one really cares what Doug thinks...

11:34 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

way to go kevin! i especially love your comparison of your calves to ex-girlfriends. sometimes i feel that way about my shins.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home