Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Spring in Kansas City

Picture that perfect Spring day. You know, that day where you could run for miles. The sun is out. It isn't too hot. It isn't too cold. Shorts and a t-shirt are all you need. You aren't dripping sweat 5 minutes into the run. A light breeze is blowing, if any at all. And you are running on flat surface. Ideal running conditions.

Well, today was not that day.

For whatever reason, I prefer to run afterwork. And today was one of the first "relatively warm" days in KC. The wind - well stiff breeze would have been an understatement. And I chose to run around Shawnee Mission Lake.

Big mistake!

The hills are bad enough when the wind isn't blowing, especially that 4200 foot climb coming off the Shawnee Mission Lake dam.

ok, 4200 feet is probably a slight exageration.

But you try running up that hill with a 30+ mph wind in your face blowing you back into the lake. Tell me it doesn't feel like you are climbing 4200 feet.

I was done, physically, by the time I reached the first summit.

And then the sun came out from behind the clouds. The temperature jumpd to 80+ and I was miserable...hot...jelly legs...drenched in sweat...with 4 more hills to go before I hit the flatlands.

I finished the 4 1/2 mile loop in 49:40, which was my worst time of the year for that route. But I finished. And did not turn around when the going went tough.

And on a day like today, that was good enough for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh Dysart said...

Wow, I can't believe you ran around the lake! That's hardcore, especially with that wind!

6:37 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

damn. well done.

i can't believe coach hasn't had us run there yet. wonder what's up with that...

9:49 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

damn. well done.

i can't believe coach hasn't had us run there yet. wonder what's up with that...

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home