Saturday, March 25, 2006

Backhanded complement AND "tri"ing something new

So two interesting things have already happened today. Both involving my endurance training peeps.

First, you know when someone says something like "Don't take this the wrong way" or "I don't want to sound like a racist", you should just walk away and not wait to hear what they have to say. Well, Koach Karl, my running coach dropped something like that on me today.

We were all sitting around after our 8.5 mile run (cleared in under 1:30:00, averaging 10:20 miles, with mile 8 being my fastest at 9:27) and we started talking about training for other events and what we were going to have for breakfast as we were planning on looking at bikes with Karl later on that morning. Well, at some point, diets came up, mine in particular and Karl laid it on me, in front of 5 of my running buds

"Don't take this the wrong way, Kevin, but you run really fast for someone your size".

So what exactly does this mean and should I be offended? Well, on one hand, Karl is calling me, well, fat - and in all honesty, this isn't the first time that someone has hinted to me that I need to lose a couple (dozen) pounds.

On the other hand, Karl called me "fast?". I can't remember the last time someone called my fast, at anything. So, I think I should take this as a complement. I also think that I should probably really focus on dropping a few pounds in the next few months

BECAUSE

This morning I also commtted in the Redman Trialthon in OKC on Sept. 24. And I won't be doing any half-ass corportate challenge or olympic distant tri, either. I am going for the Ironman (or maybe the 1/2 Ironman). Yes. I said it. I am seriously contemplating the Ironman triathlon, and if I only settle for the 1/2 ironman, then I will follow up with an Ironman in 2007. Why? Because it is there to do. For those of you unaware, the Ironman is 2.4 miles swiming, 112 miles biking and 26.2 miles running (the 1/2 is half that long). But hey, I get 17 hours to finish.

WOW. Can I do it? Stay posted. I would rather do the whole Ironman because I never want to do 1/2 of anything.

Oh, and I have to buy a new bike for this. Can't wait to find the money for this!

2 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

yeah well, KK was on a roll. later in the day we were talking about tri's and he was like "now, dont take this the wrong way, but your power is definitely in your legs.."

mm-hmm. thank you for pointing out my large derriere!

oy. maybe adding the bike and the swim will aid in trimming a few inches... hmph.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1/2 of anything does kind of leave a bad taste, doesn't it? Why couldn't they call the 1/2 a full and call the full a double?

If you do the full, I'll probably have to do the full as well, but we'll see how the swimming goes...

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home