Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Potential

Potential?

What does that mean?

Sure, we can all look up the definition. Potential is defined as the inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.

But what are they really saying when they say "You have potential".

For me...

It raises the bar. No longer is my current level adequate. I now have a new asprirations.

It motivates. I think to myself that if someone sees "potential", it must be there, I just have to find it, achieve it.

It is opportunity. Growth always leads to opportunity.

It means action. You cannout acheive this allusive "potential" by maintaining the status quo. You have to change something. Move forward.

And on Saturday, Koach told me I had POTENTIAL. He was clearly challenging me. I hate being challenged. Because nothing gets me going like a good challenge.

So I am now striving to find "potential".

Unfortunately, reaching "potential" requires, first and formost, changing my diet. And that is going to be harder than any marathon I have completed. It won't be an easy task. No more Dr Pepper. No more french fries. No more Chipotle (ok, I am not going to get that carried away, yet). But I will be eating the fruit I buy instead of letting it spoil in the frig. No more breakfast burritos. Pizza , probably not. Ice cream, forget about it. No more nachos. So I start asking myself, reaching "potential", is it really worth it.

And then I think of the bigger picture. An Ironman. The sub-5 (and possibly sub 4) hour marathon. And it just may be.

54 hours without a Dr Pepper and counting.

POTENTIAL, HERE I COME!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and no more beer!

10:50 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

i dont know how, but san diego? we're both crossing that damn finish line in under 5 hours.

no ifs ands or buts about it!

(and dude. pizza? thats my dinner friday night. don't knock it! its carbo-loading!!! der!)

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home