Sunday, March 26, 2006

The bike delimma

I am convinced that the "endurance" athlete "cult" gets you hooked on marathons before dragging you into the tri-world b/c all a marathon requires is a pair of running shoes. And while there are different levels of running shoes, I won't run any faster in that $150 pair than I will in that $70 pair. I may feel better in the more expensive pair. But that is all.

Not so with bicycles.

I was hoping that I could get by with my hybrid Trek 7500. It's just 2 years old and in great shape. But I was told loud and clear I would be insane to try a triathlon using that bike. So I went bike shopping.

And I found out that more expensive bikes perform better. And ride better. And are more efficient. And are faster. And are fun to test ride.

And to make things even more complicated, there is not just one style of bike. There are mountain bikes, hybrids, road bikes and tri-bikes. My decision is between the road bike and tri bike. And yes, there is a difference.

The road bike goes a little faster, but the tri-bike has been modified to help "save" the muscles needed for running for the running part. So I should get a tri-bike. Except that the tri-bikes are much more expensive.

Naturally

what to do?

sigh...

2 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

either way, we gotta go riding!! i took UBB out yesterday and i'm itching to go again!

yay bike!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Josh Dysart said...

you know what to do...

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home