Saturday, April 01, 2006

"I can't wait to get my hands on you"

If this came from one of about a half dozen of the girls I run with semi-regularly, I would be thrilled. But it didn't. It came from Koach Karl, my running coach, when I told him I wanted him to get me ready for my tri - to become my personal trainer. And because he followed it up with "Paula (his wife) is going to die when I tell her about this", I knew he had been waiting a long time for this moment, and I am just a little nervous.

And just exactly how did I feel at that moment?

It was kind of like when you have this crush on the pretty girl in class, but aren't quite ready to ask her out. You are scared of rejection. Or that she will be more than you can handle. Or that it may not work out. But finally, you ask her out and she says yes. And you are thrilled.

And then she gradually takes control of your life. You stop thinking for yourself. You do whatevery she want you to whenever she wants you to do it. You go whereever she tells you. You eat when (and what) she tells you to. You drink what (and when) she tells you. Everything you do, you do for her.

It's a hopeless cause only because you are thrilled to be dating the pretty girl in class. And all of your friends are jealous. But you are, in a nutshell, her "bitch".

While talking to Karl this morning about this "opportunity", he mentioned that many of his clients are "a challenge". He has the emotionally unstable clients, the underachieving clients, the ones that have problems getting to the point with questions, and ones that lack motivation. Fortunately, these are not where his challenge lies with me.

But he knows where it will be.

And he said so quite definitively - "Diet and alcohol".

So not only will Karl be telling me the workouts I need to do to get ready for the tri and let me know the best way to stay energized throughout the 14+ hours of fun that the ironman will be, he will also tell me, daily, what to eat and when and what I can drink and when. He may even make my grocery lists for me. Who knows, if I ask nicely enough, he may even cook it for me (jut kidding). He is about ready to take control of my entire non-working/non-sleeping life.

Basically (and by choice), I am about to become Koach Karl's bitch!

And as long we see results and all my friends become jealous because of it, it will be worth it.

I hope.

2 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

NOOOnoonoo, you're missing out on the FUN.

this is your prime opportunity to make KK YOURRRRR bitch!

email him everyday, and tell him whats going on in your training life. tell him random pointless stories about biker guys that you met while out on the trail, complain to him that jumping from 10 miles one week to 15 the next just is SHEER LUNACY and that he's outta his DAMN MIND (i think i tell him that, verbatim, at least weekly!)

make him drive all the way out to wherever your training to run with you (which actually involves running, so that part isn't as fun)...

its a good time, i'm tellin' ya! drive him stark raving mad. thats what i'm doing... or at least attempting.

apparently i'm not doing a very good job though. sounds like ironman wannabe chick is quite the load on his back as well. i might need to step up my game.

anyway, i'm looking forward to your training. i'm going to tag along and train with you... without the intensity of actually being IN training, because the more i think about it, the more i realize i just dont have the $$$ right now.

fruit and veggies my man. thats were its AT. i swear, they start tasting good after a while!

8:10 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

that was a really long comment, by the way!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home