Sunday, April 09, 2006

A "Blistering" Pace

I am not sure if it was because I had just replaced my shoe insoles OR the fact that I ran the first 4 miles of the 8 mile run Saturday morning at a sub 9:30 pace, but by the turn-around point, the bottom of my right heel was on fire. Every step became more painful until I had to stop and walk. After a brief (less than a minute) walk, the pain subsided. So I ran again until the pain became untolerable. I could almost feel the fluid-filled space grow under the well-callused sole of my right foot. It was probably the worst pain I have expereinced from running to date. I even considered running the rest of the route bare foot. But I did manage a run-walk pace of ~11 minute mile on the back half. Still not bad - but not good because I was running strong.

Of course, I get to the end of the run, make a huge scene taking my shoe off, expecting to see a blood and pus-stained sock resulting from a popped blister. What did I see. Nothing. Not even the early signs of blister formation. I have no idea what happened. Was I imagining the pain????

No!

Here is my theory. I changed the insoles of my shoes with the insoles that were in my Disney shoes. The new insoles have a different surface than those provided by Mizuno. I had to loosen my laces to do this. When putting my shoes on, I didn't tighten the laces. The result - my foot slid around in the shoes which equals BLISTER CITY! But, because my feet are callused from years of refusal to wear shoes except where required by law or for service, the blister formed deep under the soles of my feet and wasn't visible. But it was there.

And it couldn't have been that bad because I played 2 1/2 hours of tennis on Saturday afternoon pain-free. But I was wearing different shoes.

Hopefully, it will heal by my 14 or 20 mile run Saturday (Karl and I diagree on how far I shuld run Saturday). Otherwise, it could be a miserable run.

Oh, and Tri-training starts this week - Gym workouts and bike rides. I am only supposed to ride 10 miles. 1o miles? Gee, how about a little challenge, Karl?

And my new bike should be ready to pick up!

Just 3 weeks until the OK Memorial Marathon! Can't wait!

2 Comments:

Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

I can't even begin to imagine what that pain must feel like. Regardless, I hope it works itself out soon!!

8:20 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

oh god... its totally under the callous. dude. gross. you're gunna have to drill a hole for the fluid to ooze out.

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW! sick.

but good job on the run!

karl has me biking 10 this week as well. tee hee. fun.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home