Tuesday, April 18, 2006

2005 OKC marathon flashbacks

But first, it's time for a multiple choice question....

Today, I ran faster than usual because (select all that apply):

a) my off-day yesterday left me well rested
b) I am 2 days into the "Koach Karl" diet and am already seeing it pay off.
c) I was wearing my really cool, almost fluorescent, lime green sleeveless dry-fit shirt that I bought at the new Adidas store for just $8 and I there was no way a slow runner could pull off that look.
d) I was meeting this girl for dinner at 6:30 and didn't get out of work until 4:30. So the only way I could make it to the date on time AND get in a run was to run fast.
e) I am tapering so I only had to go three miles and runnning three miles is easy.

I really did run faster than usual for a Tuesday, averaging a 9:50 pace. Everything about it felt good. It was a confidence building run.

And I was reminded today about some of the really cool things that they do in OKC for the marathon. At every mile, under the running clock, they have an estimated finish time, based on your current pace - a giant help when you hit the "marathon math" stage of the run. They are also planning on having pace groups at 10 minute intervals from 3 to 5 hours. Much of the run travels along neighborhood roads and there are a lot of people that sit in their front lawn, drinking coffee, cheering you on.

But most of all, I was reminded about the emotional aspect of the run. Don't get me wrong, I love running with Team in Training and what it stands for, but there is something different about the Oklahoma Memorial Marathon.

The run starts at sunrise in front of the bombing memorial. There is 169 seconds of silence, one for each of the victims. There are banners along the route with the names of each of the victims constantly reminding you of the purpose of this run.

But what really got to me last year was seeing multiple people running in honor of those lost in the tragedy. Names of co-workers, friends, and family were written on shirts, arms and legs. Many of these people running their first, and probably only, marathon. Many struggling, but were determined to finish. You could tell by the looks in their eyes. Especially that pair of 20-something siblings I passed about mile 18 running "in memory of mom".

I really like this run.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...I know what you mean. I ran it a couple of years ago and I went down and looked around at the memorial before the race started. The little empty child size chairs representing the daycare kids that were killed was tough to look at.

5:16 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

omg... i didn't even realize thats what this run was for.

its awesome to be able to run something like that and have little reminders all the way through that as tough as it might be for you in that moment.. .mile 4, 16, 23.. whatever... that you're still just so lucky to even be doing it!

i can't believe i didn't realize thats what it was.. not just the Oklahoma marathon.. the OKC marathon.

i'm an idiot.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home