Thursday, April 20, 2006

An early morning tragedy

HOLY CRAP, this can’t be happening.

Timing of a tragedy can really suck. It made me sick to my stomach.

I mean, you always know, in the back of your head, that it could happen to you one day, but you just hope when it does, you are ready for it.

How will I tell Karl about this?

The poor guy has only been working with me for a couple of weeks. We are just now getting schedules and game plans for my training put together, the diet up and going. And this happened. This just sucks!!!!

Why me?

Why now?

And then I remembered, when something bad happens, it is best to stay calm. Don’t panic. Everything happens for a reason. Bad things happen to good people.

Plus, I only have to make it a couple of weeks and then I can get serious about fixing the problem. But is that possible?

I take a few deep breaths. Pull myself together and then the light bulb comes on.

But will it work?

Hey, it got me through 4 years of college just fine. I never had any problems with it. But I am older now and so is it.

But I really needed that protein smoothie this morning. And that f’ing new blender just failed. Not sure why. The motor is still working. The blade still spins if I do it manually. But put the two together and well, nothing. And the worst part was that it broke in the middle of smoothie preparation.

Fortunately, I never discarded my Hamilton Beach 7-speed, old reliable as we called it in college - if it could talk, the stories it would tell. It made the drinks practically every weekend for 4+ years and never once failed. It made spring break trips with me. It went on road trips. It was roasted alongside me at my senior roast. But it has been sitting idle for three + years. The duct tape that is holding it together was starting to peel off. Spider webs and dust covered it. Would it still work?

I plug it in -

WHHHIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

She sounded just like the day we met.

The protein smoothie was made.

My diet saved.

My day would continue

1 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

WHEW! dodged a bullet!

i dont know what i'd do if my blender broke on me.

i might cry.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home