Monday, May 15, 2006

reflections on joining TNT

I was asked to speak at a TNT recruitment meeting tomorrow night. Not a big deal, really. I have done it before and I will be doing it again. It is kind of fun, actually.

And as I sit here organizing my thoughts, I am reflecting on the events that got me involved with Team In Training and how those events got me where I am today.

I remember my recruiting meeting quite well. I remember how I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Sure, I was interested, but wasn't going to commit that night. I really needed to sleep on it. So as soon as Katie ended the meeting, I was outa there.

And I figured since the LLS offices are within a stones throw from my house, I would just drop the forms the following day - once I talked myself into it.

I was never really concerned about the fundraising. And in all honesty, I was never really concerned about completing the distance - it might take me a while, but I would finish. My biggest fear and what was holding me back was the finality of signing up. Once I signed up, there was no backing out. If I committed, I had to follow through. Once I got my letters out, everyone I knew would be aware of my new dream. And at that point, failure was not an option.

So the next day, I filled out the forms and on the way home from work, drove by the offices to drop off the forms. I pulled in the parking lot and immediately backed out and left because I was scared, nervous, anxious.

So the day after the next day, I drove by the offices to drop off the forms. This time, I didn't even pull into the parking lot. I just drove right by and headed home. Still nervous, scared, anxious, and now, feeling plain stupid.

Finally on the day after the day after the next day, I e-mailed a friend that ran RNR-SD with the TNT a year earlier and she responded with an e-mail telling me that I would meet supermotivated people and that no one plans for failure and that I should just do it. Plus, I might even meet my future wife on the team and if nothing else, it is a great pick-up line at the bar - hi I am running a marathon to help sick children, would you be willing to help out. Either way, she told me to just do it.

And then, on the way to the LLS offices, Van Halen's Right Now came on the radio...
Don't wanna wait til tomorrow, 
Why put it off another day?
One more walk through problems,
Built up, and stand in our way ,ah
One step ahead, one step behind me
Now you gotta run to get even
Make future plans, don't dream about yesterday, hey
C'mon turn, turn this thing around
Right now, hey
It's your tomorrow
Right now,
C'mon,it's everything
Right now,
Catch a magic moment, do it
Right here and now
It means everything ...
If it is one thing I have learned in life, it is not to argue with Sammy Hagar lyrics. So with the combined encouragement of my friend and Sammy Hagar, I found my way into the offices and joined the team.

And THEN came the hard part.

I had to convince people I was serious about running a marathon in order to get them to donate. And trust me, since I was weighing in at a hair over 25o at the time, this was no easy task. Hell neither of my sisters took me seriously at first. My parents insisted on going to Phoenix with me to witness the feat (actually, having my parents at the marathon supporting me meant a lot).

In January 2005, I crossed the finish line of my first marathon. I have crossed 3 more finish lines since then. In less than 3 weeks, I will have completed my 5th marathon in under 18 months. I never would have seen the start of a single one of these races, let alone cross the finish line, without TNT.

I signed up with TNT because I wanted to run a marathon. Raising money to fight leukemia was just a way to get me to the starting line. But over time, my dream of finishing a marathon began intertwined with TNT and the goals of the LLS.

And in all honesty, I keep getting up for those Saturday morning long runs because of the people running with me. It is amazing how many people I run with that pass me on the trail and we exchange things like "Good job", "Way to go", or, my personal favorite "Looking good" (because my response is "I always look good" and everyone has a laugh). It doesn't matter whether you are running a 7 minute mile or walking a 15 minute mile, people are constantly encouraging each other. The experience during training is extremely positive.

But it pales in comparison to the actual event when people see your purple TNT singlet and for the entire 26 miles, are cheering you on like you were their best friend.

Wow, I wish everyone could experience that feeling.

And as my friend told me when encouraging me to sign up, I have met countless great friends through TNT.

Still looking for that elusive wife.

But have plenty of friends.

And look forward to meeting the next group of runners that will be starting shortly.

The ones I am recruiting tomorrow.

And because it is for the Nike Woman's Marathon.

Maybe I will be meeting my future wife????

Just kidding.

But not really.

Well sort of.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin-That brought a tear to my eye. It is so true, the friendships and the connection with people are amazing. Keep on truckin' and keep those positive feelings going.

10:12 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

lol. i joined to meet a dude (well, many reasons, but lets not play. i wanted to meet a hot runner dude) and of course ended up running the nike WOMEN'S marathon, so that didn't go well.

but i feel the same about our little TNT family.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. It is so true....you meet so many people through TNT. It is one of the best things that I ever decided to do.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, an excellent post!! TNT has changed my life in a lot of ways, all positive. I got into it because of my dad's non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.....he passed away the day we had the winter TNT kickoff in 2004... and I have been SO blessed by the fundraising, the people, and yes the great physical and mental boost it has given me. We've all had various reasons but the common denominator is that we all want to make a difference, somehow....which is very kewl.

And if you single folks meet someone, just remember to invite me to the reception party :) There are a lot worse places to meet the future Ms. Kevin!!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Josh Dysart said...

awesome post.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home