Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Chasing down co-workers

Sometimes, it really helps to make a game out of running. Case-in-point was my run today.

A couple of my co-workers are getting ready for the Corporate Challenge 5K this weekend and just happened to be running the same route as me. At the same time.

But there was no way I was going to run with them. Not because I was worried them running too fast or too slow for them, but just because I like running my weekday runs alone. It helps me unwind from the day.

But, because I was few minutes late leaving work, they were already starting their run when I was pulling into the parking lot. I was in no real hurry to get started as I still had to put my shoes on, go to the bathroom, etc. But all along I was thinking to myself, how much of a head start could I give them and still be able to catch them, knowing they were going about 3.5 miles.

I had no ideal how fast they actually ran so I had no clue about how much time I should be killing.

So I loitered for about 5 minutes before starting.

And then the chase was on.

The chase really helped what would have been a rather difficult run. I really wasn't feeling the magic in my stride I had been feeling the past week and a half. I am also flirting with a cold.

But damnit, I was determined to catch them.

And I did.

I caught Lisa about 2 miles into the run and finally caught up with Pilar just before we finished.

I also averaged a 9:50 pace for the run.

And the best part was that, at the end of the run, Lisa, who I have been friends with for 4 years now, told me "you have really nice legs".

And usually, when she says something like that, she is joking. We tease each other all the time.

But the tone of her voice was different.

I think she actually meant it.

Now if I can only get my upper body to match my lower body.

sigh.

that may just be too much work.

but we can always hope!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

i have a confession to make.

i forgot my socks. two days in a row.

actually, no. i forgot my socks wednesday, but then thursday... remembered them.

somehow though, only one sock made it into my bag.

i didn't get home from this KU thing till 10:30...

so this week? ummm. i didn't run.

omg i'm so doomed tomorrow...

but good job on your 9:30 pace! cripes!

7:11 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

this means we can no longer run together..

you know that right?!

HUMF!

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home