Sunday, May 21, 2006

Brick training

I did brick training this morning for the first time. For those that don't know, brick training is when you perform two diciplines back-to-back. Today it was a bike-run brick. The bike ride was just 18 miles (4 loops), with a lot of hills and the run was only about 2 miles. Nothing too it.

It took two trips to the bike shop and an adjustment to the front derailleur, but this morning, Really Fast Bike finally started performing like I expected. Sure, going up the really steep hills sucked. But going down, wow. It was incredible.

I hit 38.8 mph on one downhill stretch.

And almost hit a squirrel on another stretch. That little bastard scampered across the road right in front of me and froze. I was going fast enough that swerving would have resulted in a nasty wipeout. I could only hope that squirrel would move. Thankfully, it did.

And almost hit a snake on another stretch. This snake was not your ordinary run of the mill garden variety snake, either. It was black and long. I would say at least 4 feet, if not pushing 5 feet long and stretched out across the road. Fortunately, I recognized the obstacle early enough take preventative action. But it was, as far as snakes go, a pretty amazing specimen.

The best part about the ride, though, was the coasting down some of the minor decines. I got in the tuck position and coasted, with the occasional pedalling, jut to keep some rhythm to the ride.
And still managed a 25+mph pace.

And passed people that were busy pedalling trying to maintain a slower pace than my coasting pace. I chuckled as I went by, but only on the inside.

Really Fast Bike may actually be living up to its name.

I was the only one in the group that did the 4 loops around the lake. So everyone was waiting on my to start the run after I finished that final loop. Which was good because I got to experience the transition as it would happen in the triathlon.

The transition and run was fine. My stomach wasn't in the best of conditions (it was having a rough morning) so I didn't run hard, but the legs didn't put up a fight. And I was feeling pretty strong.

All in all, my first brick training went pretty well.

Now just imagine what it will be like when I am not hungover!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...only one to do 4 loops...nah you weren't...I did 4 loops Mister! I just didn't run after...forgot those running shoes! KG

6:08 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

My bad. Maybe I should have said "only one to do 4 loops AND also run".

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes...you've still 'one uped' me! KG

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My bad." Is that other words for something like "I was something other than right?" :D

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home