Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Highlight Reel

As of the last update, our superhero (that's me) was preparing for his second Iron-distance triathlon. Well on that particular day, the heat was my kryptonite. About 70 miles into the bikeride, my right leg stopped working. After some attempts to revive it, I decided spending the evening at my sisters house drinking beer and enjoying the time with my family. Or at least that is how I am remembering the event.

It really was miserable out there and ~20% of the field experienced the same heat-related issues that I did and if it were a matter of life or death, I would have pushed on. But it wasn't. And I wasn't in the mood for heat stroke or death on that particular Saturday in OKC

Which leads me never ending question of "What next?"

Surprisingly enough, it isn't a marathon nor a triathlon. Instead, I am running the Manchester Road Race, a 4.5 mile run in Manchester, CT on Thanksgiving morning with Emily and some of her siblings. Training for a hilly 4.5 mile run is so much different than training for marathons and triathlons.

Speed matters.

And so does hill training.

And I don't have 10 miles to get into my rythm.

It's not bad, really. And I am running sub 10 minute miles pretty much all the time. That feels good.

But I miss my longer runs. Every now and then, I crave a good 12-14 miles. And my next marathon is going to be flying pig in Cincinatti next April.

Followed by the Vineman 70.3 half-distance triathlon in Napa Valley in July. This was chosen after being told by several in my fan club that they needed an excuse to spend time in the wine country watching me sweat my ass off while they enjoy some of Napa Valleys finest selections of wine.

After that, who knows.

But after 8 marathons and 65% of an ironman (and all the training) in the past 12 months, I decided I needed some time to rest and focus on quality of training, not quantity.

So this blog may or may not see much action in the next couple months - unless I make it more about life and less about training.

Which, knowing what could be on the horizon in my life, could be more entertaining than anything training related.

And that starts this weekend, when my three male cousins are coming to KC for the Chiefs-Broncos game and a "guy's weekend".

And then the following weekend, my friends and I are turning a waterstop at the Gobbler Grind marathon into an old-fashion tailgate complete with fajitas and margaritas.

And then a trip to Connecticut with Emily to spend Thanksgiving with her family.

And then we are in December.

How the time flies...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home