Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My name is Kevin and I am a Garmin-o-holic

Well, maybe the correct term is a recovering Garmin-o-holic.

Oh yes, I used to have that Garmin addiction.

Every run.

Whether it was one of those doesn't-really-count-because-it-is-just-three-miles run or a marathon and everyone in between.

I had to have my Garmin.

I felt naked without it.

And believe me, naked isn't a good look for me.

But then, something somewhat magical happened. I went to Nashville to run a marathon. I went to turn my Garmin on. It didn't work.

I was lost. I spent almost the entire 26.2 miles cursing because I had no idea what my pace was. I was running the first of two marathons that weekend so my pace, on one hand, was critical. But on the other hand, it really didn't matter. I swore up and down that I would have a functioning Garmin at the OKC marathon the following day.

And my Garmin was working on Sunday. Only I left it at my sisters house.

So I ran my second marathon in a row having no idea how fast I was running. But unlike Country Music, not having the Garmin in OKC really didn't phase me. It was like everything became clear. The marathon became about having fun. Not about how fast I ran that last mile. Of course, in OKC, they have these great flip signs that tell you your expected finish time based on your pace at every mile. And that is awesome. It saves you from having to do "marathon math" - which for you non-marathon runners, is about as accurate as a 4 year old attempting calculus.

But it was during the OKC marathon that I realized that not knowing your exact pace, exact time, and every mile split wasn't the end of the world.

Was it possible?

Could I cut the satellite?

Could I run without knowing whether that last mile was run at 10:10 or 10:03. Because there was a time when those 7 seconds would make or break my run. I wasn't using it for distance because, in general, I know practically every 3, 4, 6, and 8-mile route in KC. I only used it for run comparison.

So I tried it. I left the Garmin in the car once. And then again. And again.

I have been running more or less Garmin-free for the past 6-weeks.

I used it in San Diego but that's about it.

Every now and then, when no one is looking, I will strap it on for a 3 or 4-mile run. I even use it to monitor my heart rate during those runs.

I use it for my bike rides because it has a fancy bike mode. And that is nice.

But for most runs. I don't use it.

What's really funny is that people notice and even comment on the nakedness.

So I won't be able to tell you time or pace of most of my runs this summer. Nor will I be able to compare one run to another based on time, heartbeat, or pace.

But I can tell how the run felt. And that is what matters.

At some point, I will fall off the Garmin-free wagon. Some day, when I go back to marathon training and I want to set a PR, the addiction will return.

But for now, it is nice.

Admitting I had a problem was the first step.

I know there are others out there that share this addiction.

The question will you have the courage to step up and admit that you, too, are an addict. That you can't run without Garmin?

We can even start a "Garmin Anonymous" club if enough of you step forward.

Anyone know a good bar with cold beer that would be willing to host our meetings?

First round's on me!

4 Comments:

Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I'm addicted too! Although I have gotten better since getting a heart rate monitor since I refuse to double fist it. But really, I think I have just substituted one number addiction for another :-)

And doing "marathon math" keeps me entertained while I run :-) Even if it isn't right :-)

4:49 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Hi, my name is Daphne and I'm a Garmin addict. I'm not sure I'm ready to give it up yet though.

However, I'm never one to turn down a free beer.. :D

7:32 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

i've just started training (running) again and.... i miss my garmin.

i'm an addict but I DONT CARE! gimme satellite. gimme garmin!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been a Garmin-aholic for years now myself. From back in the day to clunky GPS receivers and lame mapping software. When creating maps of your runs and speeds were unheard of. Thank goodness technology has made this smoother.

home therapy

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home