Sunday, May 06, 2007

Relentless for hill training

So I volunteered to help my coach out with his "Relentless for a Cure" 26 marathons in 26 days drive by running a marathon with him last Friday.

It was an interesting run. When I foun out that Koach Karl was running again, I knew it would be. We always have interesting conversations because we are both known for having opinions, some similar and some miles apart.

My "marathon" was run in Independence, MO, and consisted of three 7.2 mile loops followed by a 4.6 mile out and back.

The loop.

Um.

Hills.

All hills.

Well, not all hills.

The first 1.4 miles was flat or downhill.

Then, the hills started.

Up. Down. Up. Down.

I haven't downloaded the total elevation change yet, but I figure I the "uphill" portion represented about 14,000 feet of vertical rise, give or take a couple feet.

So we ran and walked and talked. The last 2-3 miles were tough. My legs felt extremely heavy and I knew I hadn't taken enough calories or hydrated well. That's ok, though, because the goal was to finish, not set a PR. Eventually, 6 hours and 8 minute later, we fiished the 26.2 mile run.

It was my third marathon in 21 days and my legs were letting me know this.

Today, just two days later, I managed a good 2-hours of pretty competitive doubles tennis and a 3 mile walk with my dog, Shiner, pain free. So no injuries. Just a tired body.

Tonight, I rewarded myself with a 12 oz medium rare fillet. baked potato and most of a bottle of the 2004 "Miles of Magic" Syrah that was made especially for the 2006 Disney Marathon . Yes, I know that is red wine and I don't drink red wine often. But it sounded good and tasted good and I have been saving it for a special occasion. I figured that three marathons in 3 weeks justified celebrating.

It may just be a rough day at work tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

you're outta control dude.

for real.

that. is nuts!

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home