Sunday, May 06, 2007

Decision Time

"All my life, whenever it comes time to make a decision, I make it and forget about it" - Harry S Truman

I am always intrigued by what goes through peoples minds when making decisions. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been presented with intriguing descisions in the three main phases of my life: professional, personal and training.

Now, I am just waiting for the outcomes.

In my world, there are no bad decisions, just unanticipated events that provide new oppotunities. It's probably a result of how I look at life. Things are never as bad as they appear and everything just seems to work out.

So when I say that I have chosen to run a marathon this Friday in Independence, MO, as part of Relentless for a Cure, it should be no surpise that I am approaching this as an opportunity to help a great cause. It wasn't something I was planning on doing, but when the call came out for volunteers, I couldn't say no.

I had planned on limited running milage this month to give my body time to recover from CMM and OKC, focusing on swimming and biking. Still, I wanted to get one sort-of-long-run knocked out. This was going to be in the 14-16 mile range this weekend. So what is another 10 miles? I am going to treat this as a training run, so it is going to be slow and deliberate. If it takes me 5 1/2 hours, or even 6 hours, so what. It is for a great cause.

Even so, visions of injury are running through my head.

But why?

I feel better now than I have in a long time. I don't know what I am worried about. My calves haven't cramped in months. My Achilles is stronger than ever. My joints are pain free. I ran 7 miles Saturday at a steady 10:45 pace. There is nothing to worry about.

There is no looking back.

Only forward.

And this is how it should be once a decision is made.

2 Comments:

Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

How'd it go, Kev?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I actually run this friday and it will go slow. Real slow.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home