Sunday, May 06, 2007

Ride the wind

I have this theory that riding my bike on windy days is a good idea and will help me prepare for Redman.

Well, not even taking into account my body's lack of aerodynamic design, I was informed today that riding my bike in the wind isn't a good idea.

Evidently, my bike has issues with cross-winds.

Or so I was informed as I climbing up a hill at Shawnee Mission Park today.

I was on my third lap around the lake climbing up the dam (or damn, as some call it) hill and another (know-it-all-son-of-a-bitch) cyclist riding a Trek 5500 rode up beside me.

We started talking about my bike. One of the first things he said was to be careful riding my bike in the wind because crosswinds can create havok. He said he has the same bike and while riding it in a race a couple weeks ago, a gust caught the bike and pushed him three feet off course. And because he had problems riding an Equinox 7, so would I.

Only I have never had a problem with crosswinds.

Even on the windiest days - and I have ridden in my share of wind.

But he talked to me like I was a fool for taking my bike out on such a windy day (the wind was gusting at 25 mph).

Crap.

I don't know what I can do.

Do I sell my bike?

Do I switch back to my hybrid.

Do I not sign up for Redman.

Because it will be windy in OKC.

Why?

Why me?

Why now?

I just got used to riding my bike again.

I guess I will just put it back in the garage and surrender my triathlon dreams.

Damn!

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I hope that second to last sentence was dripping in sarcasm!

Everyone's an expert. Do what works for you.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home