Sunday, May 06, 2007

Moving Right Along

Movin' right along in search of good times and good news,
With good friends you can't lose,
This could become a habit!
Opportunity knocks once let's reach out and grab it (yeah!),
Together we'll nab it,We'll hitchhike (SWIM), bus (BIKE) or yellow cab it!(Cab it?) (RUN)

Movin' right along.
Footloose and fancy-free.
Getting there is half the fun; come share it with me.
Moving right along (doog-a-doon doog-a-doon).
We'll learn to share the load.
We don't need a map to keep this show on the road.
I can't say that I have been struggling trying to decide what to do for my big fall event because, deep down, I have known for for a long time what it would be.
But lately, I have been putting a lot of thought into it.
Training for and running back-to-back marathons was a great overall experience. I can't say that the entire experience was great. There were times I was questioning both my sanity and reasoning for wanting to do this. However, I didn't mind running long distances alone and my body, in general (and amazingly enough), held up well to all the pounding that came from the training.
In fact, since finishing the OKC marathon, my left Achilles has felt better than it has in forever.
Going into last weekend, I was still border-line on whether I wanted to run the Tahoe Triple or do Redman again. I kept telling myself that I would see how I felt after the double and, if I felt good, I would proceed with triple training this summer.
But who was I kidding.
There was a reason I was swimming between 2 and 3 miles a week since January.
I knew I wanted another shot at Redman.
I was 3/4 of the way to completing the Ironman last fall.
I walked away from last years race with only 13.1 miles of the run knowing there would be another chance, sooner than later.
I knew I would be back because I love the triathlon. I loved the swimming. The bike and I got along pretty good. Running long distances is second nature.
But most of all I loved it because of the training. I loved the focus required to train for an Ironman. I loved training with a purpose. I looked forward to the Sunday morning training sessions.
T.S. Elliot once said that "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
Last year, I could only go 127.5 miles.
This year, I will finish that last 13.1 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home