Wednesday, May 30, 2007

San Diego...Rock and Roll and more

Yes, there was a marathon in San Diego last weekend.

Yes, I ran it.

And I ran slow.

And I didn't care?

It was my 5th marathon in 9 weeks and, lets face it, I am not Kenyan. My body isn't made to run forever. I finished in 5:34 or something like that. It was my second fastest marathon of the 5. That was good enough for me.

Because the real purpose of San Diego was to have fun. And it was a great weekend.

Friday was crazy. At times, I felt like a cross between a cruise director and the pied piper. Everyone, it seemed, was following me. Evidently, someone was spreading rumors that I actually knew what was going on. I didn't. But I sure faked it well.

From packet pick-up to a 3 mile run to dinner, dancing and drinks on Friday, there was never fewer than 15-20 people in my group. What I did, they did. And that included enjoying a few too many adult beverages. Did these people not realize they were supposed to be running a marathon in 30 hours and that you are not supposed to change anything about training before your big day (and that includes alcohol). Pictures of the night will be coming soon.

Saturday was devoted to re-hydration, rest and recovery.

The marathon itself was an incredible experience. I will have a complete race report, hopefully tomorrow.

But for now, I have little issue with sun-burn shoulders I need to attend to.

1 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

alright mister... marathoning is done. its time to tri.

you coming to the group ride tomorrow?!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home