Monday, October 16, 2006

Parting with memories

Yesterday, I was supposed to finish cleaning out the spare bedroom so my new, super cool roommate can move in at the end of the month. Instead, after finally getting out of bed around 11:30, I spent it laying on the couch recovering from Saturday nights festivities.

Because Saturday night, I got the hook-up. I went up to Weston, MO for the Irish fetival with a group of friends and, well, Courtney (who rocks on all levels) was able to get what we thought were simply tickets to the festival. Well, it turned out they were much better than just tickets.

They were VIP passes!

What do VIP passes get you?

Apparently, in Weston, they get you anything you want, including a key to the city.

Well, we really didn't need a key to the city. So we settled for all the free beer and food we handle. And that was more than enough.

That is why I was pretty much worthless once I finally got out of bed.

So instead of cleaning out the bedroom yesterday, I did it tonight after a quick gym workout.

Part of the process is going through all the old clothes and sorting out and determining what I don't wear anymore - which is about 80% of my wardrobe - to donate to Goodwill. I wound up with three trashbags worth of clothing. I am in desparate need of a fashion upgrade.

The hardest part, though, came as I emptied the bottom drawer of the dresser. You know, the drawer with all those t-shirts from yesteryear that you never wear anymore, but don't want to throw away because of the memories. But I parted with all but three of them tonight.

Of those shirts I discarded was one that simply said "I make stuff up". Another had written on the back the Hemmingway quote "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with fools" (This is the one I wore for so many years on float trips). I threw away my favorite Adidas t-shirt because the collar was frayed and stretched. I threw away four of my remaining seven t-shirts (and sweatshirts) from my college days (I graduated in '94). And I threw away my Wrigley Field "Shut up and drink your beer" t-shirt.

The saddest part of it is that I parted with at least 30 t-shirts that I received from races, volunteering, vollyball, softball, and soccer events. Yet, I still have at least that many I didn't part with. Where do they all come from and what am I supposed to do with them?







2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

You could get crafty and fashion yourself a little t-shirt quilt. Wouldn't that be special?

7:43 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

thats a really good question. i have more tshirts than most dudes i know...

but i still just end up wearing the same 10 or so and rotating weekly.

hmm. maybe *i* need to start tossing some as well!??!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home