Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I refuse to do the what if's

So why have't I posted anything else on the triathlon experiences?

Two reasons, really.

First, for such a long day, I really don't remember a lot of the details. Sure, I remember thinking along the way "wow, I have to tell this story when I blog. I just have to remember that at mile 22 on the bike, this happened". Well, the same thing happened at mile 30, 31, 34 , 40 and so on. So instead of trying to remember the really important things, I don't remember anything.

I was in sensory overload.

But I do remember things like almost getting run over by an ice cream truck. That's right, on my second bike loop, I heard the ice cream truck. I assumed it would stop for me (hoping the driver might offer me a bomb pop), but no, the s.o.b. pulled right out in front of me.

And I do remember how much I loved everything about the swim. Everyone swears the water was choppy. I must have been having too much fun to notice. It was like bumper cars in the water. You look, see a open space, head there, and then get kicked in the face because someone else saw the space first. Or even better was not being able to sight going down the back-stretch because the sun was directly in line with the markers. I was just hopng that everyone in front of me was swimming in the right direction (they were). In fact, I even asked my coach at the end of the day if there were any 5K or even 10K swims out there.

I remember seeing my family getting out of the water. I got a high-five from my niece and nephew.

I remember the awesome water stops throughout the day. The volunteers were the best I have ever seen.

But it was such a blur. It was such an incredible day.

The second reason I haven't posted any more on the day was that I don't want to start doing the "What if's." I have sat down on more than one occasion to write on the experience, but every time, it turns into a "if I had only done this" or "what if I didn't do that". And I don't want spend all my time second guessing what I did. That is not what this experience was about.

This experience was about taking on the seemingly impossible. I hadn't been swimming where a beer wasn't within arm length since high school. The longest I have ever ridden a bike was 25 miles before April. Running the 26.2 was the least of my worries,.

But now, I have a new love for swimming. I am looking forward to improving my swimming throughout the winter, working both on speed and endurance. I have put up the bike for the winter (although if it doesn't get cold soon, I am going to have to pull it off the ceiling for a couple more rides next week). But I will not give up riding. I have targeted three spin classes a week with the intention of returning to the bike in the spring stronger than ever.

I will worry about those what if's and discuss them as I begin training for my next Ironman.

Until then, I need to start focusing on my upcoming races.

That starts with the KC 1/2 marathon Saturday morning.

And Vegas is just 10 weeks away!

1 Comments:

Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

I've only now caught up on your blog, Kevin. I just wanted to say that I am absolutely amazed at your diligence and perseverence with this race and all of the training it required. I'm proud of you...that bike portion sounded so brutal.

Good luck with the half this weekend. You'll do great, no doubt.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home