Sunday, September 24, 2006

Redman, Part 1


I have no idea where to begin. There are so many stories to tell. So many great experiences. This was one hell of a journey. A journey which ended 13.1 miles short of the goal.

It had nothing to do with the swim. I loved it! I absolutely had a blast in the water.

It ended not because I lacked the legs. My legs were doing great.

It wasn't because I lacked the heart. Just finishing the bike ride in that f'ing wind proved that.

It was because I didn't have the stomach.

More specifically, I didn't have the contents in my stomach. These were deposited about 2.5 miles into the run. And then again about 8 miles later. I was 10 miles into the run at this point. I had no idea what was going on. But I knew my energy, my nutrition, was now deposited along the trails at Lake Hefner, left to be picked through by the birds and small mammals that call the lake home. I was feeling a little wobbly and fatigued. I knew I needed energy, fast. The next water stop, I grabbed a banana and some gatorade. No luck. The stomach was still churning.I walked the final three miles.

A million thoughts going through my head, but only one that really made sense.

"What an incredible experience."

There was no doubt that I could have found it in me to walk the final 13.1 miles. It would have been a long, miserable walk in the dark. But at what expense?

I don't know what would have happened had I walked those 13.1 miles. What I did know is that I had an incredible journey. I had an incredible day. I wasn't about going to ruin it with 13.1 miles of misery, walking around cold, tired, hungry and miserable in the dark.

There will be other iron-distance races. There will be other chances to finish. I will be at that starting line again, remembering my experiences, learning from my mistakes.

So, for now, I am stuck somewhere in the wonderful world of iron-purgatory-somewhere between 1/2 ironman and ironman.

I can live with that.

4 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

congratulations, kevin, on what i'm sure was an amazing race. you covered an intimidating distance, i can't wait to hear about it.

finish or no finish, i'm so proud of you!!! we've gotta get together for an update here soon!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Josh Dysart said...

Yes Kevin, incredible job! I definitely want to hear about the experience.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

i hear purgatory is a fun place. i'm just amazed that you did an ironman, you did an incredible thing, and that's awesome. congrats, and i'm sure the birds are thankful for their free meal. you did a good deed. can't wait to hear more about it.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Gosh! Sorry to hear about the loss of your stomach contents! But I am still in awe anyways!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home