Monday, September 04, 2006

labor day...laboring!!!

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

Evidently, it is also a great day for a century ride.

I rolled out of bed at 4am to take another shot at the Liberty Delight bike ride (mapped out here as the KK hellride). Remember that. The 100 miles that took me from Liberty, Mo, to St Joseph to the Iowa border. The one that kicked my butt in 110+ degee weather. Yep, I got another shot at it today.

And this time, I did the butt kicking.

Well, saying I kicked its butt may be a bit of an exageration. But unlike last time, the weather was perfect. We rode 106 miles and I finished in around 6 hours 50 minutes. The course was still hilly. Yes, it still sucked. And if I ever ride that ride again, it will be too soon. On the positive side though, the ironman route is not very hilly and if I can knock out105 miles on that route, the 112 miles in 19 days should be a breeze!!!

But the 6-mile optional run after the ride.

Did you hear me, it was optional. And all hills.

Koach Karl should know better than give me options.

Had I not done the 50 mi bike, 10 mile run on Tuesday, swam thursday, biked friday, ran 16 on Saturdy and played 2.5 hours of tennis yesterday, my legs may have felt a little better. But they were totally shot.

So I optioned out.

Those 2.5 hours of tennis yesterday were probably to main culprit. It shouldn't have happened. It was a rest day. I knew I needed the rest. But it was an awesome day. And I never turn down a good tennis match.

Now when it came time to mow the yard yesterday... well, it was a rest day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh Dysart said...

I had a Sonic blast ... with Reese's Peanut butter cups. Oh, and I did mow my parent's lawn :)

Great job man!

8:18 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

nicely done.

i went to colorado. ate and drank my weight in cheesecake and alcohol. probably gained back the 6 pounds i just lost and loved every minute of it!

hope to actually make it this saturday... i've GOT to get my ass in gear, i've got a wedding to attend in a few weeks!

bollocks!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Nicely done Kevin...

I would've opted out, too ;)

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home