Thursday, August 31, 2006

It's the life you live

It's not what you got, It's what you give
It ain't the life you choose, it's the life you live
It's only what you give.
It's not what you got
But the life you live
It's the life you live
- Tesla

I spent a good amount of time today (swimming and) thinking about my my pending collision with Ironman.

At one point, these lyrics popped into my head.

"It's not what you got, It's what you give"

When committing to Ironman, I knew it was possible if I would just put in the work. The bigger questions was would I. Was I willing to make the sacrifices necessary. There were days I didn't give it m all. But these days were few and far between. I knew I had to give it my best shot every time out, every day. I had to push myself each time out. That is why I trained on hills in unbearable heat. That is why I woke up for those 4am swims.

"It ain't the life you choose, it's the life you live"

Talk is easy. Just because you choose something, it won't necessarily happen. You have to follow through.

I have lost count of the number of things I have not done this summer because of training. Trips to the lake, happy hours, nights out, baseball games, potential dates, friends birthdays (hell, I still haven't gone out for my birthday yet) have all been passed on because of Ironman.

But don't feel sorry for me. Life is all about balance. I have done plenty of fun stuff this summe not related to training..

And while missing out on those things "old Kevin" would have never missed, this summer has been an incredible journey. I have no regrets. I would make the all of the same decision again.

Triathlon has changed me. I am more focused than ever. I have to know that I have given it my all. I have a strange determination inside of me. I have taken my training serious (although I am still not serious when I train - if that makes any sense).

I like what I have become. I like focused Kevin.

But at the same time, I haven't forgotten how to have a good time.

Only this side of me is on hold for another 22 days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh Dysart said...

Great post Kevin! And you're going to kick Ironman's ass come Sept 23.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow... that quote is very powerful! thanks for sharing it, and good luck with the ironman!!!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home