Sunday, June 18, 2006

Corporate Challenge

The company I work for is competing for the second straight year in the Kansas City Corporate Challenge and it has really been tough on me this year. But not because I am busy competing in too many events (like I did last year), but because I have not been able to compete in any events.

My San Diego trip kept me from competing in all of the track events, soccer and softball. The 5 K was on the same morning as my 20 mile training run. Volleyball was the same night as my baseball bash where me and 50 of my friends went to Kauffman Stadium for a Royals-Cardinals game. It has been a real downer telling my co-workers time and time again that I wouldn't be able to help out.

Finally, Saturday morning, I was able to get out there and represent my company. I played flag football. I spent most of my time at wide reciever (but did play QB for a couple of plays). We wound up playing four games, losing in the semi-finals, finishing in 3rd place.

This morning, I hurt. It wasn't the same kind of pain as the post-marathon pain. The pain was much more joint related. Knees, ankles, shoulders (I hit the ground hard a couple of times, one time getting kneed in the head while falling by the guy chasing me). This is even after taping both ankles and putting on my IT band brace after the first game. But the pain this morning was definitely worth it. It was fun.

Not every day fun, mind you. But the sort of fun you want to do once every so often. It was a great deviation from triathlon training.

Which starts again, tomorrow.

And I am looking forward to it because I will be biking one of my favorite trails in Tulsa (where I grew up). This is the trail system that I used to bike with my grandfather and cousins growing up. We would bike the trails on Sunday morning and then go back to my grandparents house for breakfast. Since I have to go to Tulsa for business on Monday, I figured I would take my bike down and get in a 20 mile bike ride-three mile run on some of my old stomping grounds.

Oh, and I get my much anticipated swimming lesson with Koach Karl on Wednesday morning. This should be entertaining!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home