Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ooops

Someone didn't make it to the pool tonight for the much anticipated IM competition.

But it wasn't my fault, really.

When driving back from Tulsa this morning, my brakes started making some annoying scraping sounds. They weren't the sort of squeaking sounds that indicate that maybe it is time to replace the brakes at my convenience, it was the scraping sound that was saying at any time I may be at risk of not stopping if I don't replace my brakes soon.

So I spent the better part of the afternoon getting my brake pads replaces.

The good news is that my car will stop on demand for the next 40,000 miles.

The bad news is that I missed my chance to swim the IM.

I now know that my company will lose Corporate Challenge by 1 point.

And it will be my fault.

I can live with that.

But last night, I got to ride my bike down the river parks trails in Tulsa and it was great. I rode on flat ground and absolutely flew down the trails. More than once I was pedaling on leval ground and moving at 20+ mph. It felt great. I was passing other bikers . It wasn't windy and wasn't hilly.

But it was hot.

97 degrees with about 90% humidity.

Why it is so humid in Oklahoma is beyond me.

On the bike, the elements weren't really noticable.

But the second I got off the bike and started running, WOW! It really was hot. I was dripping in sweat. My pores were totally open. But I ran anyway

I got 2 miles in before calling it quits.

But I didn't quit because I was tired.

I quit because I was going to my grandparents house for dinner. And what a dinner it was. Somehow, I don't think that my grandfather got the memo that I am now eating healthy because the menu looked like this:

Pork Chops
Fried Potatoes
Biscuits and gravy
Black-eyed peas
Corn
Cole slaw

Not exactly foods that make it to my training table on a regular basis

But last night, there they were. And I ate like I hadn't seen solid foods in weeks.

Tomorrow, I get to run an extra 3 miles.

2 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

lol. damn. i was really looking forward to that IM report!

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm....pork chops and fried potatoes. I'm jealous!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home