Tuesday, June 27, 2006

changing gyms

I am not one to make major changes on a whim. I usually sit and ponder the pros and cons. I am cursed with the ability to analyze and over-analyze situations.

But for once, there was no need to over-analyze. In fact, this may have been one of the easiest decisions I have ever made while sober.

My thought process:
I need a pool for swimming
My gym has no pool
I am paying $5 every time I use the local community pool
My backyard isn’t big enough for a lap pool
Even if it were, the pool would probably freeze over in the winter time (but it would heated as to avoid this potential problem)
And Shiner would be getting into it all the time so I would be constantly pulling dog hair from the pool filter
And if I had a pool, I would probably have to get a hot tub, too.
And if I had a hot tub, I would have to install an entertainment system complete with a 46” flat-screen TV so all my friends and I would be able to watch our favorite sporting events from the hot tub.
And if I were to have more people, I would probable break down and by a kegerator for the house.
With a kegerator comes the poker parties meaning I would have to invest in a poker-specific table.
And the foosball table, pool table and air hockey table that would turn my spare bedroom and garage into game rooms.
Leaving my guests with no place to stay
I would outgrow my house and have to move, but it would be impossible to take the pool and hot tub with me, so I would be stuck with all this useless crap that I bought specifically to put a lap pool in my back yard.
Therefore, I decided it would be cheaper to change gyms.

Like I said, easy decision.

I am switching to 24-hour fitness because 1)they have pools and 2) there are three locations within 5 miles of my house (2 of which have pools). But it is hard because I really liked the convenience of my old gym and the fact that it was never terribly crowded. But that is just the price I have to pay in order to become a world-class triathlete.

Speaking of which. Here is an actual conversation I had with one of the trainers at 24-hour while touring the facility last night:
him: so, you are going to do a triathlon?
me: yep.
him: sprint distance?
me: nope.
him: Olympic?
me: nope, I am going to just start with an Ironman and see how it goes.
him: (big pause)
him (again): So are competing to win?
me: wha wha what?!?!? huh? no, I am just hoping not to die

Good god, was he serious. Did he think I was actually thinking I was thinking about winning an Ironman on my first try?


I was warned they don’t have the best and brightest trainers at 24-hour.

They may be right.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh Dysart said...

you'll have to let me know what you think about 24 hour fitness. i'm still debating switching gyms.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i go to 24-hour fitness!!! the one on 119th and metcalf!!! i love it!

do you ever go to that one?

but not the smartest trainers...

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home