Monday, July 10, 2006

Measuring up

So one of the things I got with my new gym membership was 5 appointments with a personal trainer. Going into it, I had the "yea whatever" attitude. My training schedule for the next two and a half months is completely focused on the triathlon (including my weight training routine). So I was pretty much convinced I was going to be wasting my time.

Boy was I wrong.

I had my first appointment today and learned a lot. Some things I already knew, but now I have numbers to go with my gut instincts. Part of the process was measring height, weight, neck, chest, shoulders, etc and finally a couple of skin fold tests to calculate bmi - something I have never experienced until today.

Unfortunately, none of the three skin fold tests took into account my legs, which are all muscle. So my BMI results are primarily from my arms and midsection. Yikes. I was a little nervous.

But surprisingly enough, even without taking into account my extremely strong, mucle-packed legs, my BMI was only 27.9. Yes, it is higher than it should be. But normal range is 18.5-24.9. I am only 16 pounds away from a BMI of 22. This is definitely an incetive to continue the diet (which had been slacking a little lately) and, more importantly, a reason to re-instate my pre-marathon soda ban that was lifted after the SD marathon.

Why did they have to make Dr Pepper taste so good? Why damnit? Why.

sigh...at least it will be nice to track my progress over the next several months.

I also learned how to use medicine balls to "treat" myself to a deep-tissue massage. Let's just say I had a dentist appointment this morning and I think that the deep tissue massage is on the same level as getting your teeth cleaned...A necessary evil. Working out those knots in the calves/I-T band/hip flexors/glutes/hamstrings can really be painful.

But my legs do feel better tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home